Memberships, Activities & Honors
• Recognized as Super Lawyer in Super Lawyers Magazine 2012
• Recognized as a Rising Star in Super Lawyers Magazine 2009 - 2011
• Martindale-Hubbell® AV Rated Lawyer
• Colorado Secretary of State Campaign & Political Finance Advisory Panel
• Adjunct Professor, University of Denver Sturm College of Law
• Chairman, Colorado State Personnel Board, 2001 - 2008
• Member of the Colorado Statesman's inagural class of '50 for the Future'
• Denver Judicial Nominating Commission, 2002 - 2008
• Wellington Webb; reappointed by Mayor John Hickenlooper, August 2006
• Eagle Scout, Boy Scouts of America
• William Randolph Hearst Foundation Senate Youth Scholarship
• Rafiq Hariri Foundation Scholarship
• Colorado Access to Justice Commission, Resources Committee Chair
• Denver and Colorado Bar Associations
• Member, Colorado Lawyers Committee (Elections Task Force)
• Denver Rotary Club
• Rocky Mountain USO Advisory Council
- State and Federal Litigation on Colorado Open Records/Freedom of Information Acts; recent oral argument before Colorado Court of Appeals
- Annexation Litigation – representing landowners in legal opposition to enclave annexation and associated non-profit, grassroots lobbying activities
- Real Estate Litigation – representing lienholders in actions against title companies and public trustee
John and his wife Katrina have three children Maximus, Amira, and Samantha Rose.
Representative Cases & Clients
Lance v. Coffman, 127 S.Ct. 1194 (2007), remanded to 2007 WL915497 (D.Colo.).
Weise v. Casper, 507 F.3d 1260 (10th Cir 2007) (Appeal of order denying defendants’ right to qualified immunity in case of “The Denver 3”.)
Lance v. Dennis, 126 S.Ct. 1198 (2006) (Per Curiam) (Rooker - Feldman doctrine does not bar actions by non-parties to the earlier state-court judgment simply because, for purposes of preclusion law, they could be considered in privity with a party to the judgment).
In Re Reapportionment of the Colorado General Assembly, 45 P.3d 1237 (Colo. 2002)(Represented successful Adams County Objector Beth Gallegos).
Lilly v. Salida, 192 F. Supp.2d 1191 (D. Colo 2002)(Matsch, J.)(City Amplified Sound Ordinance held unconstitutional prior restraint and overbroad in violation of First Amendment).
Anderson et al v. THE UNIVERSITY OF COLORADO; MICHAEL HALL, individually; GOLDEN TRIANGLE CONSTRUCTION, INCORPORATED, a Colorado Corporation; ALTA MILLA CONSTRUCTION, INCORPORATED, a Colorado Corporation; and JOHN DOES 1-50, Twentieth Judicial District, Boulder Colorado, Case Number 03 CV 631 (successful settlement of the University of Colorado "Peeping Tom" Case).
Articles & Presentations
- Political Legal Practice Opportunities, Lecture on various practice areas involving election law and campaign finance, University of Colorado Law School, October, 2006.
- Election Law 101, Continuing Legal Education Presentation, 2006.
- Go it on Your Own, Lecture on starting a legal practice upon graduating law school. University of Denver Sturm College of Law, Business Law Society Presentation, Annually.
- 527s and the Future of Colorado Elections, Presentation provided to various corporations, organizations, lobbyists, nonprofits, 2004-09.
Ask a Legal Question or Schedule a Free Consultation